Saturday, August 8, 2009

Back from a long, unannounced haitus.


Custom Order Lion

Oh my goodness, it's been forever! This summer has been much, much busier than expected. I believe last time I updated was before my crazy New York road trip, so I'll start from there!


Somewhere near Friendship, Alabama
Photo by Charlie

On June 1st, Brad (boyfriend), our friend Charlie, and I set out on a crazy adventure to travel from Denton, TX to Syracuse, NY... in a tiny, Saturn Ion.

We stopped in most of the major cities on the way: Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and New York City. It was ridiculously amazing, especially for someone who's never even been to an airport... ahem. Me.


At Pat's King of Steaks in Philly.
The birthplace of Philadelphia Cheese Steaks.
Photo by Charlie

We had some ridiculously good luck along the way. We managed to run into some really great people who told us where we should go in the cities we visited. In Philly Brad and Charlie ran up the Rocky steps. Fist pumps were NOT left out.


The crew in.. well. You know.

We managed to run into a John Legend concert in Central park, get to the Top of the Rock right as the sun was setting, and ran across the Brooklyn Bridge in record time (not really... but for us it was fast) in order to get across before the sunset.


Top of the Rock
Photo by Charlie

It was definitely a rushed trip, and I would love to go back when I have more than a day to spend in New York City. Once we reached Syracuse things slowed down a little. We attended a mutual friends pre-wedding party (and wedding the next day) at a beautiful lakehouse. It's insane how diverse the state of New York is. If you just drive north of NYC for a few hours, you'll run into a postcard perfect landscape: rolling hills, gorgeous lake beaches, and a ton of cute little ponds!


Sylvan Beach in Syracuse, NY
Photo by Charlie

We has some good luck in Syracuse too. We ended up heading downtown to see the neat, ol' architecture and ran into the Taste of Syracuse Festival, where we discovered that Kevin Costner, yes, Kevin Costner is in a country band. Whaaaaat?


Kevin Costner?!
Photo by Charlie

Once we got back to Texas, Brad and I packed right back up to head to Florida to spend a week at the beach with his family. That was a blast... and a nice break after all that driving!


Para-sailing!!
We lounged around quite a bit, para-sailed (FIRST TIME!), and buried everyone in the sand.


Oh, the joys of the beach.
Photo by Brad

Since then I've been back at home, feeling like I'm catching up on everything ever.

I've managed to catch up on all my custom orders, create a new website for my design portfolio, settle in at my new day job, work on some freelance design work, and take a few summer classes. I'll be working on a couple films doing graphic and photography work in the next few weeks, and I'm working with one of the directors right now to create custom Fuzzy Muffins puppets to "act" in her movie. It's going to be a pretty ridiculous comedy, and I'm hoping a little hint of Fuzzy Muffins makes it that much funnier!

Next month, Fuzzy Muffins is going to be featured in one of my favorite craft blogs, and I cannot wait. I won't disclose WHICH blog just yet, but keep a lookout! :)


Custom Order Hippo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hippo = amazing

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

There is also a Friendship, MD - which is what I thought of when I saw the picture. You have some serious skills, that hippo is very cute. :)